Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Collaborative Online Projects

I.) Interactive Class Wiki Page for Peer Editing
I think that the Internet will be a great tool to utilize in my future classroom. One way that I would like to use it is to create a Wiki page for my classroom. On this Wiki, students will be able to post rough drafts of their papers for student critiquing. While I don't think students should edit the actual text of the paper themselves, I would encourage them to place online "sticky notes" on the corresponding area of concern. This Wiki will also contain a collection of links to valid websites that I would encourage my students to look at. Another great idea for the future English teacher, found on an informational website about Wikis, is: "A teacher could post words for students to expand into definitions" (EdTechTecacher, 2011). A simple list of vocabulary words can be included, and perhaps each student can be responsible for defining the word and using it in a sentence each week. The end product will be a list of words with accurate definitions and examples that each student contributed to.

II.) What Would Mr. Rochester Blog About?
I think a fun project for students to collaborate together on would be creating a blog from the point of view of a character in a novel we read. I would ask students to make at least 5 blog posts from the perspective of a character who is not the main character (in other words - the same story from another character's eyes). So, for example we could read Mr. Rochester's blog ("Why did Jane leave me at the alter?!"). I would also ask students to place YouTube videos, pictures, or audio that might be relevant to the character's life. I think it's a fun and creative way to interpret literature. This activity is a good Synthesis exercise, from Bloom's Taxonomy. In order to re-write the story, the students must first have a firm understanding of what happened. I would encourage multiple students to work together to do this, probably in groups of 2 or 3.


References
EdTechTecacher. (2011). Wikis. Retrieved from here

2 comments:

  1. Your wiki idea sounds good. Did you also consider having students edit each other's work on a Google Doc? Students could highlight text - make changes right in the document - and/or add comments on the side (similar to your sticky note idea). Love your blog post idea! Very creative and definitely appropriate for use in a blog format.

    Your citation and reference need some minor editing. You should first display the organization name - and if you look on the site at the bottom you will see the organization is "EdTechTeacher" - Year of pub is 2011 (copyright) - and the title of the page is wikis.
    So your reference is: EdTechTecacher. (2011). Wikis. Retrieved from http://www...
    Your citation would be (EdTechTeacher, 2011).

    Love the image!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I will edit my citation. I think I might use the blog post idea for a unit assessment for another class. :)

    ReplyDelete