Monday, June 13, 2011

T2P Week 3 & 4

June 13, 2011 T2P
     If students can engage in a teacher-monitored discourse about curricular content, then learning will occur because students will be able to consider their peers' opinions and either solidify or adapt their own opinions to their peers'. [Jean Piaget theorized that students reach a stage where critical thinking is possible after age 11, and teacher-monitored, healthy dispute can exercise the critical thinking muscles of the students [evidence].

One exercise that I thought was interesting today in class was the Triad group exercise. We broke into the pre-determined groups to discuss the theorist that we all researched (Piaget, in this case). This was a bit uncomfortable to me because there were some heated discussions about what everyone took from the research. It seemed to me that everyone was getting a bit upset, and stepping on one another's toes. At this point, I noticed that GNA intervened and directed us into an environment where we could successfully hear everyone's points-of-view. After everyone put their ideas onto the table, another group member (who was not a participant in the argument) suggested a new metaphor. It was a great metaphor, and we all agreed that it was "perfect" for the situation. So, through a sticky disagreement, we came to one metaphor (or understanding of the theory) that we all agreed on. It almost seemed as if the rough patch was completely necessary in order to get to the end product.

I know that head-butting will occur in my future classrooms, as it's impossible for everybody to have the same opinion all the time. In some ways, I believe this is a good thing! Each participant had a reason for being so passionate about their stance. By ensuring that everyone's opinion was heard, GNA made fairness possible. I was not an active participant in the discussion about the metaphor, but listening to it enlightened me to my own perspective.

In the future, I would like to have students discuss their opinions in a safe environment. I don't think it will be easy to inspire them to discuss their opinions, since many people are more reserved (like me). However, I believe that everyone has an opinion somewhere deep down. I would like to engage students in activities that bring these opinions to light. For my specific case, these opinions will involve literary works. Literature is an excellent source from which one can derive opinions. I believe that this is because literature can be interpreted in an infinite number of ways. If each student can have their own opinion about the literature, then it can open up a Pandora's box of differing perspectives.

June 20, 2011 T2P
       If teachers and students nurture a peer-like relationship, rather than a hierarchical leader-over-controlled-learner relationship, then students can have an autonomous learning experience because they can be aware of the breadth of the learning experience when they can be an active participant in it. [Evidence] Vicki Davis does not believe that a teacher should always know everything, and therefore she and her students partake in a mutually-enhancing learning process. While a teacher must play the role of a facilitator, Davis attempts to almost eliminate the dichotomy between student-and-teacher when it comes to gaining knowledge. Student adopts the role of teacher and simultaneous learner, which gives them a sense of being autonomous, but still part of a collective relatedness to his or her peers. 



June 20, 2011 T2P, part II
      If students and the teacher participate in a reflective round-robin discussion based on material the teacher and students observed together, then both the teacher and the students will be able to have an engaging, opinion-driven conversation to reflect upon the material.  The conversation should begin with a question that engages the student's critical thinking skills, and then the teacher should bounce the reactions back to other students.  Since all of the students are expected to participate, it will be necessary for them to come up with ways to voice their opinions about the material.  It is especially engaging for the students towards the end of the round-robin circle, because the answers they had prepared will most likely be articulated by earlier students. However, it will also keep the teacher on his or her toes to quickly pose opinion-generating questions of students. According to Freire and Vicki Davis, teachers and students can almost share a position in the role of learning.  The learning process should be ongoing for not only students, but also teachers, and the two parties should stimulate understanding by posing questions that cause critical thinking.




Related Links for Today's Class 

3 comments:

  1. Emily,

    I appreciate how you have transformed what could have been interpreted and experienced as a negative learning experience into one worth experiencing. This is one of the hallmarks of an inquisitive mind. Kudos!

    I'm interested in learning some more about how you would create learning opportunities for students, such as yourself during that group discussion, who might not be vocal or decide not to verbally assert their opinions. We know they have them--as your remarked.

    Can you add a specific instructional strategy to your T2P statement to address those learners?

    Keep pressing!

    GNA

    p.s. consider changing the color scheme of your blog b/c the titles along the right side are very difficult to read w/ your background pattern

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know this isn't the most original way of coming up with an answer for your question regarding less vocal students, but I think the round robin exercise we did in class was a great way to get everyone involved. I wrote my T2P (part II) on this element of class.

    I like Freire's theory. In my high school senior English class, my teacher had us read Freire's chapter on the "Pedagogy of the Oppressed" for our summer reading. As a 17 year-old, I had great difficulty understanding the theory, and I had to read it multiple times. However, my teacher pretty much taught us what Freire was saying by engaging us in conversations that were sparked by very difficult questions he posed. It was the first class where the teacher had us move our desks into a circle so that we could really speak to one another. The way he taught definitely got the critical thinking "ball rolling," so to speak, but unfortunately it's still not something I feel comfortable doing. However, I think constant use of this practice throughout all of high school should be implemented. More practice will make me feel more comfortable with it. In the future, I'd like to help my students by posing questions that really utilize their higher-order thinking.

    Anyways, that wasn't very parsimonious. HOpefully that answers your question. And, I will change up the layout when I get home, if that's okay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emily,

    I like where you ended-up in your T2P part II. Well-reasoned and analyzed. What moral implications on Ss and/or T do you identify (if any) with the instructional decision to use a teacher-guided round robin Q & A/ assessment?

    Keep pressing!

    GNA

    ReplyDelete