Monday, June 13, 2011

Week 3 Learning Theorists - 1

Explain why "consistency is key" within Skinner's work and Behavioral Learning.
This was labeled as a Q2, but I think it's more of an Analysis question. It asks me to "explain" why "consistency is key," so therefore I have to analyze the statement and apply it to Skinner's work.
I think that consistency is key because if the teacher does not maintain consistency, the learner will become confused and not understand the lesson. The schedules of reinforcement must remain consistent. The repetition is the reason the person learned the lesson in the first place, if we are in keeping with Skinner's theory.

How many ways can you use scaffolding to help students learn?
This is listed as a Q5, and I agree that this is correct. It asks me to think logically about what scaffolding is and apply it to a situation that may occur in real life.
I don't really understand this question. I interpreted scaffolding as being only one method to help students learn. Scaffolding provides the building blocks that help students "step up" into intelligence. I see them as steps on a staircase, with ultimate understanding being the top step. I suppose one could incorporate different kinds of activities for students who are at varying levels of development.

What are some considerations you need to make when planning a lesson for your students?
This is listed as a Q6. It definitely is a synthesis question, since it asks about a situation that may be used in real life. It is the synthesis of all of the information I learned about theories and ways of learning, and then applying it to a hypothetical situation.
One must consider the student's stage of development, when dealing with the Piagetian theories. Also the time it takes for a student to learn something, if applying the Skinner theories. Some students take longer to learn a lesson than others. Vygotsky is similar to Piaget. He would argue that students should incorporate hands-on learning.

2 comments:

  1. Emily,

    Your responses to the questions and your analysis of the Bloom's Tax are spot-on.

    You wrote: Scaffolding provides the building blocks that help students "step up" into intelligence.

    Can you provide a specific example of a learning scaffold you would incorporate into one of your lessons?

    GNA

    ReplyDelete
  2. An example of a learning scaffold that I would like to incorporate into one of my lessons would be to teach my students all about the historical background of a novel we are about to read, and ask them to keep a list while they are reading of any significant aspects of the novel that directly relate to the historical backgrounds.

    ReplyDelete